Saturday, May 30, 2020

The Story of Amba and her Wish…

Hi there!! Today's story is about Amba, one of the Princesses of Kashi, and Bheeshma, the grand-uncle of the Pandavas and Kauravas.
Let's go…

When Vichitravirya, the half-brother of Bheeshma and the heir to the throne of Hastinapur, came of age (Coming of age means when a person is the right age to become the ruler of the kingdom), Bheeshma announced," The prince must be married before he ascends to the throne. I shall take it upon myself to go to find him a befitting wife," Bheeshma had taken a vow to serve the throne of Hastinapur, even though he was the rightful heir to the throne. He had earned his trademark name because of his vow (Bhishma pratigya) and had dedicated his life to it ever since.
As Bheeshma set off to scout for a bride for Vichitravirya, he heard that the King of Kashi was having a swayamvara for his three daughters - Amba, Ambika and Ambalika. Bheeshma thought, "This is the right opportunity to give brother a good wife. The King of Kashi is a kind-hearted man. He shall hand over the three ladies with ease,"
So, Bheeshma set out on his horse to the Kingdom of Kashi. 

The day of the swayamvara arrived. The palace of Kashi was decked up with beautiful flowers and gorgeous scents filled the air. Amba, Ambika and Ambalika were seated in three gleaming, glistening, golden thrones in the main hall. In front of them lay a huge bow, with a massive, copper bowl of oil sitting under it. There was a tall tower, with a wooden bird perched on the top of the pole. Many princes came from far and wide to win the hand of Amba and her sisters. They all sat in rows, patiently waiting for the king to give the announcement. The King strutted in, flowers flying on him from both sides. He sat on his golden throne, and bellowed, "WELCOME TO THE SWAYAMVARA!!!!!!" The princes cheered the king, who blessed them. Suddenly, Bheeshma stormed into the room and proclaimed, "I am Bheeshma of Hastinapur. I have come to take the three brides for my brother, Vichitravirya, the King of Hastinapur. I am ready to fight anyone who is opposed to this." 
Nobody dared to fight Bheeshma, obviously. Even the King of Kashi was too petrified to offer any resistance and sent his three daughters with Bheeshma.

On their way back to Hastinapur, Amba, the eldest sister, told Bheeshma, "I won't marry your brother. I am sorry. My heart is set out for the prince of the Saubala Kingdom, Salwa!! You can't take me to your brother!! I wanted to marry him, but you took me away without my consent," Bheeshma was confused. He didn't know that Amba's heart was for someone else. "I have made a mistake. Had you told me, I would've only taken your sisters, " Ambika and Ambalika added that they wanted to marry Vichitravirya only.
Bheeshma commanded one of his servants to take Amba to the Saubala Kingdom. They rode off on a separate chariot. All along the journey, Amba thought that the prince would be ecstatic to see her. But, her thoughts were just a dream. "I can't marry you. Bheeshma already took you away," said Prince Salwa. Amba was shocked!! She knew that Salwa loved her, but why didn't he accept it? "You are better off with Vichitravirya, anyways, " said Salwa. Amba thought, "Where am I to go? I can't go back to my father, because of the marital laws. I have to go back to Bheeshma, "
Bheeshma was surprised to see Amba at the Hastinapur Palace. She explained the circumstances of her return, "No one shall accept me. I wish to be married to you, O Bheeshma," Bheeshma was taken aback!! "You know that I have made a vow not to marry. I can't do what you wish from me," said Bheeshma. 
The argument went on for hours. Finally, an enraged Amba shouted at Bheeshma, "MAY YOUR END BE AT MY HANDS!!!" and ran off.
Amba soon reached the river Ganga. She wailed to her, "O Ganga, did you see what your son has done?!" After many hours, Amba lit a huge fire, with many, many logs of wood. She prayed to Lord Shiva, who immediately came in front of her, "What do you desire, my little one?" said Shiva.

"I would like to be the cause of Bheeshma's end!!!" proclaimed Amba. Shiva blessed Amba with her wish and flew back to his abode. Amba then jumped into her fire, dying instantly.

In her next life, Amba was born as the first-born of Drupada, the King of the Panchala Kingdom. She fought for the Pandavas in the great Kurukshetra War.
When Bheeshma was fighting alongside the Kauravas, Shikandhi (Amba's new name) blocked his view and allowed Arjuna to shoot multiple arrows through him.
Thus, Amba fulfilled her wish and achieved her goal.

Thanks for reading Amba and her Wish!!!! Please type your email in the box above the followers and click the blue button to receive emails about my posts!!! Happy Reading!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts of the Week!!!!!!!