Tuesday, April 14, 2020

The Story of Ganesha and Kubera....

Hi! Welcome to my blog! Today, I'm gonna tell a story from Hindu mythology about Ganesha - the elephant-headed god and Kubera - the lord of money...

A long, long time ago, there once was a guy called Kubera. He wasn't just a normal guy, nooo, he was a GOD. He wasn't just a GOD, nooo, he was the god of $$MONEY$$(this reminds me of the ABBA song: money, money, money,  it's a rich man's world :)!). So, Kubera was the god of money. He had a LOT of money. I mean it, a LOT!! He had money spewing from his earthen mud pots. He had money flowing from his shining gold chests. If Kubera spent his money, he would earn as much after! He even had money growing from his plants!! (HaHaHa!) Kubera did good things with his money. For instance, he gave money to the needy and poor. Wow, right? He was actually supposed to give to the poor. 'Cos he was a yaksha, a magical being who helped people in need. 
This advantage that Kubera had overall, gods and men alike, made him a bit proud and boastful. He was like, "I'm the richest man in the wooooorld! No one is as rich as me! HAHAHA!"

One day, Kubera was being his usual, boastful self, and as he sat on his gold cushioned, glistening throne, he shouted, "My capital city, Alakapuri, is the most BEAUTIFUL city in the world, and no other god has a palace like mine! I am the richest god in the world!! HAHAHA!"(He was a bit obsessed with laughing).

He plopped on his throne, and suddenly, his wife, Bhadra, exclaimed, "O Lord, I have been thinking for some time now, and I have made up my decision. In your honour, we should have a feast, to portray your superiority!"

To this, Kubera added, "WOW! I love your idea, Bhadra, darling! It is amazing! I'll get started on the decorations. Juuuust as I finish my pre-lunch nap! SNOOOOOOOORE"

After his pre-lunch siesta, Kubera announced that he was going to hold a feast! It was going to be the biggest feast in the whole world! (Imagine all the food you could eat in a meal, drinks and all, then times that by a million. Times that by another million to get just a scrap of the food in the feast. Yes, it was that big!!!)"Everyone is going to come and see how wealthy I am.HAHAHA!!" said Kubera.

The next day, Kubera set about making sure that they had enough cutlery for their guests(aka The Entire World)"How many plates do we have, Swami?"(Swami was the name of his cook)"Not many, Sire. We might have a few thousand, only!" Kubera stated, "Well then, Swami. Go tell the gold makers to make 100 Billion gold plates, 200 billion silver spoons, forks and knives!"

The next day, Kubera was thinking."Who can I call, that will give me a higher status? Who can I call, that will give me a higher reputation? Aaaah, I know! I'll call Lord Shiva! He surely won't refuse my invitation. Maybe, to give a better impression, I'll go and personally call him!"

So, Kubera set off to give an invitation to Lord Shiva. It was a rough road to Mount Kailash, with twists and turns, with freezing cold snow, and mountain ridges so sharp, you could pierce diamond with it!
At long last, Kubera reached the top of Mt. Kailash, the abode of Lord Shiva, the god of destruction.

"O Lord Shiva, I bow down before you. Please, do accept my humble invitation to my grand feast. I await your answer anxiously..." said Kubera. Shiva replied, "Kubera, I cannot come to your feast. My wife, Parvati, and I are busy. Kartikeya, too, has gone to fight some demons. I am sorry that I cannot attend. I might be able to send my younger son, Ganesha. Be wary, he is a growing boy. Feed him well." Kubera gladly agreed, though regretting the loss of Shiva's attendance.

On the day of the feast, Kubera awoke to the sound of an ear-deafening knock on the door. Reluctantly, he opened the door. But he couldn't see anyone. He looked up and saw no one. He closed the door. As soon as he closed the door, Kubera heard the knock again! "Who is this naughty fellow?", he thought. Again he opened it, and looked down this time."Over here, mister!! Can't you see me?" shouted a small boy, with the head of an elephant. Why, it was little Ganesha! He came sooo early!! "O Ganesha! It is you! Come in, come in. Do rest for some time. The travel from your abode must have been tiring. Sit, sit and rest."

After washing up and resting, Ganesha came to the table. It was crammed with bowls and tubs of rice, roti's, rasam, and sooo many sweets!!! The number of different types of food that was there, was innumerable!!!!!!!!!!! Kubera went and told Ganesha, "You may help yourself."

Within the next 10 minutes, the crammed table was nothing but empty. There was absolutely no more food to be seen in the hall. Ganesha was confused, "You promised me a feast. What is this? Are these the starters? Oooooh, I can smell a beautiful aroma from the kitchen!! Let me go there!" Kubera was shocked. Ganesha didn't even let him even say a word!"But-Butbut-But!" he stammered in awe. Such a little boy, finished a feast which was made for Billions and Billions of people!!!!! What?!?!?!?!?!?!? (The most astounding trait of Ganesha, was to eat A LOT of food)

 Ganesha stormed into the kitchen, demanding food," Mr Kubera promised me food. I want to see it!" Within another 10 minutes, he gobbled up all of the rice in the steam cooker, he gulped all of the lemonade in the tubs. Soon, he ate all of the food in the kitchen!!!!! (I know, how did Ganesha eat so much, yet not become so fat? I think he does an EXTREME FITNESS WORKOUT!!!!) Ganesha ran back into Kubera's room, where he was sleeping."What food are you serving?? You don't have any more food for me to eat??I will get so mad, Grrrrrrr" Ganesha was furious. He wanted a feast, and he was given (in his terms) nothing! He ran at Kubera, who ran away. 

Ganesha chased him until Mount Kailash, then to Lord Shiva's feet."O God, save me from your son, Ganesha! I gave him the whole feast, and he devoured it like it was nothing! He cleared my whole palace of food!!! Save me, O Shiva, SAVE ME!!!!!!!!" Ganesha came after Kubera, in an angry mood, and muttering curses about the small quantity of food in the feast. Kubera asked Parvati if there was any food for him to give Ganesha. Parvati gave a small ladoo to Kubera, and told him to feed it to Ganesha without pride and only love. Kubera then fed the ladoo to Ganesha. Then, Ganesha slowly jumped on to Parvati's lap. He then let out a huge BUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRP!!!!!!!!!!!! And fell fast asleep.

Kubera was astonished. "Thank you, O Pranavi. You saved me from a grave fate."

Moral of the story: Never boast about yourself, always be humble and loving!!!


Hope you all liked my rendition of The story of Ganesha and Kubera!!!!:):)

20 comments:

  1. Amazing story pradyun... Looking forward to hear more from you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Manasa atte!! I'm already getting another post ready!!!

      Delete
  2. Very nicely articulated Pradyun! Keep it going :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice story Pradyun. Good writing skill. I like the your way of expressions in writing like - huge BBBBBBUUURRRRRRP😅. Looking forward moooooore stories from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing write up Pradyun :) I loved the way you made it so interesting to read and also the idea of having a moral in the end. Keep it going :) will want to keep reading more and more..

    - Raksha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Raksha moushi!!! I'll keep posting to keep you reading!!!:):)

      Delete
  5. Very well written Pradyun! So proud of you ��

    Vasudha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing Pradyun 😀 keep more stories like this coming 😀 and yeah I loved the extreme work out part. Looking forward for more stories. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good Pradyun good style of writing and a very good vocabulary too keep posting more stories and this will be the first story I will be telling my grand daughter ditto once she learns to listen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You!!!! You can follow my blog to get updates on when I post

      Delete
  8. Well done Pradyun, very interesting and very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pradyun.. Good job. As you wish, you have succeeded in writing a story in bright and fun way. Keep it coming.

    Love,
    Chaitra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well written to get kids and adults alike.

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts of the Week!!!!!!!